Monday, November 24, 2014

albums & journals ¦ homemade for the holidays

hello and welcome!
welcome to the first day of homemade for the holidays! i am so excited to be sharing my love of homemade gift giving!
today, lets talk albums...a gift for generations to come. i don't know about you, but i love to document. My usual method of documenting is through my camera and  later, some of those photos become part of scrapbook pages or albums. each christmas i create a christmas album, separate from my day to day scrapbooking.
yes! christmas is that special it deserves more then just a page or two in a scrapbook album in my opinion ;)
in previous years, i have other received christmas album kits through past design teams or just randomly grabbed supplies from my stash as i created the pages.
there are so many great options for christmas albums and no matter what you choose, there's no wrong way...it's all about documenting your christmas, your way!
so let me share with you what i am doing this year!
there are so many pretty kits out there for purchase, cocoa daisy has a fabulous one! and in fact, it was their document december album that inspired me to create my own christmas alum kit! i have so many supplies collecting and i even had, on hand, the perfect mini album that allowed me so many options.
it is not as scary as it sounds, putting your own kit together. it took me about 20 minutes :) so let's have a look at what my christmas album kit looks like!
album and embellishments, i have no idea if i will use everything i pulled...but it gives me a good and varied start. some of these things i have had for a long, long while...note the 7 gypsies stickers!
 paper selections, as you can see it's a mix of many different companies and styles..i went with what felt right and worked with my colour scheme. some of this paper i have had for YEARS!!! so this is a great opportunity to use up supplies.
now that i have my own kit created, i keep it a brown paper bag so it's all in one place and ready to go whenever i am ready to work in it!
 to create your own kit, it helps if you have one piece that helps you create a colour scheme and pull embellishmets and papers. my starting point was the 7 gypsies sticker sheets...calssic christmas combo, green, red, and pink
 then find some balance with ribbons, paper embellishments, bling, labels, and alphabets and really whatever else suits your fancy!
 
i really loved the poinsetta paper flowers i rediscovered in my stash! another great reason to go through your stuff and make your own kit...the rediscovery of items long forgotten about!
and since i already had all this stuff on hand, there was no cost, keeping this project inexpensive. so it's easier to me to add the things i want to document in december, i started some of the pages and will add as things come up, filling my album with written memories, photos, and ephemera

years from now, this will be a beautiful gift to future generations who may want to know just a little bit more about how we did this "back in our day". documenting december will start dec 1st and i will share pages as they added :)
and since i am doing this 12 days with the beautiful ronda, you can find her own version of an album on her blog today! she takes on an art journal approach and it's fabulous!
http://rondapalazzari.typepad.com/helpmeronda/2014/11/12-days-albums-journals.html
 i hope we have inspired you to document your own december!
happy monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment